Saturday, February 7, 2009

~A Piece of Me~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On a night where the stars shined bright in the sky.
So bright that their light
Trickled down to the sea,
All darkened with night.

The waves lapped at the shore
Every now and again,
Reflecting the flicker of a flame
That danced between two men.

One man sat taller than the other one,
For he was a father, and the other his son.
They sat in a moment of silence until
The son looked around in the still night air.

From the stars to the waves,
From the stone to the flames.
Each one reminded him of his father
In some small way.

The twinkle of his fathers eyes ,
He saw in the stars.
While the warmth of the fire reminded him
Of his fathers kind heart.

In the waves he felt the power
Of his father alone.
While the strength of his fist,
He saw in the stone.

He thought aloud,
"How could this be?"
Then his father replied,
"Into each of these Ive put a piece of me."

Just then the son looked down at himself,
By the light of the flame,
And he saw that he and his father
Looked very much the same.

"I wonder", asked the son,
With a bit of glee.
"What piece of yourself
Have you put into me?"

"Not a piece", said the father.
"But every part.
For the flame of my spirit
Burns in your heart."

"And my strength, like a stone
Will keep you from crumbling.
While my power alone
Will enable you to run without stumbling."

"Now go, like a star,
And shine for my glory.
Use all of these things
to tell others my story.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrew Smith Feb. 07, 2009

3 comments:

Johnathan Schofield said...

I loved reading this poem.
I think it's packed with awesome word pictures and truth.
God is so good to love us like that!

Melissa said...

Hey! Just wanted to say thanks again guys for posting your stuff on here. I've really enjoyed reading it!

que.sarah said...

This was is AMAZING, so thought-provoking. Praise God!