Friday, October 9, 2009

Don't Worry, I'm Safe Inside my Box.

I live in a box.

But don't worry! I have friends who live with me. They are the greatest friends anyone could ask for. Any of them will tell you they only have my best interests at heart--they want to keep me safe.

There's one of my closest friends, Doubt. I know she really cares for me. It's true she can be negative about who I am; seems like I'm always hear her saying, "You are TOO fat to even think about doing that!" "You will never accomplish this; remember how many times you've failed?" But she only says those things to keep me safe. "Rejection hurts! Better to not try at all," she warns me from her seat guarding my box's door.

Then there's Fear. He is Doubt's best friend and always present, but I talk to him the most when an Opportunity knocks on my door. Fear will sneak up behind before I answer the door and whisper in my ear. When he speaks, it seems like his words spread an icy chill through my heart. He whispers, "What if this makes you vulnerable? You'll be weak! What if someone takes advantage of you? Tries to hurt you? What if. . .?" On he goes and I know he's right. Fear wants me safe.

After this, I usually sit and talk with Pride, Bitterness, Sloth, and Lust. They are friends that I have known for a long time. Pride will tell me, "My dear, be grateful you didn't answer that door! Imagine how foolish you would have looked if you had said this! What do you think that person would have thought if you had done that?"
Sloth agrees and adds, "It would have taken a lot of work anyways. Who has the time? Really, you're better off where you are."
"And what is the chance of you working well with that person? She never understood you. No one ever has," Bitterness acidly remarks.
"I know what you really want and of course, that Opportunity would have gotten in the way of that. You don't need it. Just listen to me and I will make sure that you have everything you want," Lust promises. "Just stay inside the box and you will live the good life!"

So here I am in my box.

It wasn't always like this, you know. One day, some time ago, I left my box to meet another friend, Jesus Christ. He told me to leave my box and follow Him. I didn't need my old friends when I was with Him. I was happy to simply listen to what He said, which was different from anything I had ever been told. In Him, I am a new creature! Of course, my old friends never really left, but when I listened to Jesus, His voice was the only one I heard.

But Doubt and Fear got hold of me. They told me, "Now, look here! You simply cannot keep living like this. LOOK AT YOU! You're not attractive or witty or smart or funny. Why do you even try to help others when no one wants you!"
As they walked me back to the box, Pride complained behind me, "Think of how foolish you look when you witness to someone and they ask questions you can't answer!"
"But . . . " I tried to stop them from talking me back into the box. I could hear my Master calling me, but His words were being drowned out by Fear, Doubt, and Pride.
"Who deserves your help? When did everyone want you? Who ever helped you?" Bitterness questioned. "Why even try? Another day will do; just rest for now." Sloth added.
I feebly agreed with them as we kept getting closer to the box. Lust greeted me at the door. She pulled me in as she remarked, "How could this Jesus be taking care of you? When did He ever give you something you wanted?"

I no longer heard Jesus, only my friends. I know that they have my best in mind; at least I think I do. They must! They're my friends! They love me, they want to keep me safe.

Jesus still calls my name but Fear keeps me pinned to the wall. Doubt and Lust keep me locked in. Pride and Bitterness try to make me strong and untouchable while Sloth keeps me from trying at all.

Who needs Jesus when I have friends like these? All they want is to keep me safe.

Safe inside my box.

1 comment:

Josh P said...

so true...and so sad that we think that way. great job of personification.